To create a new product with product options with inventory tracking for those variants in your eShop 4.0 website, follow the below.
1. Navigate to Products > Products.
2. Click the + symbol to create a new product.
3. For a Product with Product Options, you'll need to do the below.
Name: Name of the product.
Categories: You will need to add the product to at least one category (explained below). You can add a product to many categories and/or sub-categories.
First, click 'Add categories'. In the resulting pop up page, select the checkboxes of the category/categories/subcategories you want this product to be displayed in. Once you're done selecting which categories you want your product to be displayed in, click 'Add categories and close'.
Price: The actual price that customers will be paying you for the product.
Full Description: Enter in your product description into this section. You can add images into this section if you wish.
Images: Click 'Local' to upload an image from your computer. Please ensure when uploading images to your website, that you ensure that the images are optimised for website usage. Optimised images help keep website load speeds quick, reduce the disk space used by your website and reduce your and your customers' bandwidth usage.
Options Type: Set this to Sequential if you wish for the customer to enter in their size first, and then to choose their colour, where they can't choose their colour until they've chosen their size. Leave as Simultaneous if you do not care which order they do this in. Most choose Sequential.
You may also want to assign the product a Product Code (found slightly further down the page).
Once you're done editing this section, click Create.
4. After clicking Create, your page will refresh, now with extra tabs. First, you will need to create your options of Size and Colour. To do this, click on the Options tab. Then click 'Add option'.
5. Fill in the fields as needed.
Name: This is what the option on the product page will be named, so ensure it's spelt correctly and has Uppercase letter(s) if needed.
Position: In the below Image, the position for Size has been set to '1' as you want the customers to typically choose their size and then their colour. So Size gets position 1 so it shows first in the options of the product, and then colour gets position 2 so it shows below.
Type: Select box = Drop down menu. This is the most common option when there are multiple options for each option.
Description (optional): If you have an option which might need explaining (colour and size is self explanatory), you will want to enter in the explanation of this option. Entering content into this section will cause a question mark to show up next to the name of the option, which when hovered over, provides more information about the option.
6. Click on the Variants tab.
Pos (Position): Enter these in the order that you wish to show these options in the drop down menu. For example, below Small has been given the position of '1', so it'll show first. The rest, will be assigned numbers higher than 1.
Name: Name of the variant. Eg, 'Small' or 'Blue'.
Modifier / Type: If there is an additional cost for this option on top of the original price of the product (premium options / optional extras). If none, leave blank and it will automatically be filled with zeros.
Weight Modifier / Type: If the option chosen causes the product to weigh more than the weight of the product without the option, enter in the weight modifier here. Eg, if the weight of the product originally is 0.50kg (500grams), but the option chosen increases the weight by 100grams, you would enter in 0.10 to add 100grams to the 500grams.
Status: You can manually disable the options you don't want to display if you wish. Otherwise, keep it as set to 'active'.
Click on the + symbol to add another row, so you can continue entering in your other variants of Size, eg, Medium and Large.
7. Once you have entered in all your variants, click Create.
8. You will be taken back to the Options page now. Click on Add option again to create the Colour option.
If you want Colour to appear below the Size options, assign Colour the Position of 2 or higher.
9. Go through the same process as with size with your colour variants. Click on the Variants tab. Enter in your colour names, clicking + to give yourself a new row as needed. If you do not wish to show small thumbnails of the colour options below the drop down menu (shown below), you can skip to the next step.
To show thumbnails below the drop down menu, such as what's shown below, continue on:
When creating your Variants, click Extra, then click Local so you can upload the image from your computer you wish to use to make the thumbnail for this colour option. The system will automatically shrink the image to make a nice thumbnail out of it.
Once you have done this for all of your colour options click Save.
10. Click onto Colour again, and click the 'Inventory' checkbox and then click Save.
11. Click on the General tab as we need to modify something in this section before continuing to enter stock levels.
Scroll down the page until you reach the Pricing / Inventory section. At the Inventory drop down menu, choose Track with Options. Then click Save. Without this being selected, you will not be able to track the inventory for each of your variants (Small Red, Small Green, Small Blue, Medium Red, Medium Green, Medium Blue, etc.)
12. Navigate back to the Options tab, and click Option Combinations.
13. Click on the Cogwheel icon, and then select 'Rebuild combinations'.
14. The resulting page allows you to assign the Product Code for each of the variants, the quantity you have in stock of each variant, and to assign an image to be displayed when the specific options are chosen.
Product Code: For example, if your product code for the product in general is 'ProductCode', on this page, you would elaborate on those to a degree where you can identify the Size and Colours chosen. Eg, ProductCode-RedSmall.
Quantity: How many of the size and colour (eg, Small Red) you have in stock.
Position: Generally the defaults are fine and don't require to be changed. If you did the earlier setup correctly, these should be displayed in the correct order on this page too.
Click on Local for each product combination, and upload an image. The image chosen on this page determines which image will be displayed when Small and Red are chosen (for example). If Small, Medium and Large Red all use the same image, upload the same image for all three.
Once you're done, click Save.
15. After clicking Save, your page will refresh and you will still be on the Inventory page. This is a good time to double check your work and see the images you uploaded for each on the page. Have a quick look, and once you're done, click the section shown below to navigate back to the editing side of the product you're currently working on.
16. To check your product setup, click on the Cogwheel icon, and choose Preview.
The end result, should be something like the below (when some options are chosen).
To edit the inventory of products with Option Combinations (after you have done the above) follow this article: Edit inventory for Products with Option Combinations